This was a mail order pattern, meaning the design would be advertised in newspapers, and one could order it and it would come to the house in a mailing envelope with the pattern company name printed on the outside, but no separate pattern envelope inside the mailing envelope, with artwork specific to the pattern the way a store bought pattern has. The specifics are all printed on the instructions page, and that’s all you get.
Whoever ordered this one back in the 60’s threw away the mailing envelope, so I have no idea what company this thing originally came from, but I assumed it was an Anne Adams based on the artwork (which I love, that black/white with color background is super appealing), but then I found this interesting post on witness2fashion about how all these mail order companies are the same anyway, and if you read down through the comments on that post there’s a link to a KestrelMakes interview with a lady who worked at the parent company that housed Anne Adams and Marian Martin and basically all these mail order pattern companies.
More specifically, a french terry. This is one of the fabrics I chose with my prize certificate from the 2016 Vintage Pledge.
For the competition, I entered basically everything I made in 2016, because I mostly sew from vintage patterns anyway, and was very pleased to win in the category of bottoms with the simplest thing I made all year, that gold spandex skirt from a 1979 pattern.
Here is the winners announcement post over on AStitchingOdyssey, for more information on the vintage pledge and the categories, and fun pictures of the competition.
My prize was fifty dollars to Girl Charlee fabrics, which was really fun to spend, because I hate spending real money on fabric (almost all the fabric I use is thrift shop, aka super cheap and I like to think planet-saving), so spending not-money was perfect. I went to the Girl Charlee site and realized I could either be smart and buy useful things, stuff like solid heavyweight stretch fabrics in useable yardage amounts plus rib knitting for jackets, or I could have fun and get as many one yard pieces as possible for my fifty dollars. So of course I did that.
The print on this fabric is great, but I was disappointed by the weight of the fabric when it first arrived, because in my head I had decided that all french terry is heavyweight, almost not even stretchy, cotton knit with a loopy back, when in reality, and very clearly stated on the website, some french terry is lightweight, soft, stretchy stuff with loopy back, that is totally appropriate for T shirts. So, disappointed, and then delighted.
The instructions page for this shirt doesn’t include a recommended fabrics list, but it wants nonstretch. It’s supposed to have a zipper at the center back neck, and bust darts which I got rid of by easing into the side seam, and then took in enough through the side seams (the soft stretchy fabric grew a little) that I think the easing is mostly gone too.
There are shoulder darts, which I like and kept but totally managed to not photograph.
The black contrast fabric is some cotton Lycra I had in house.
Sew It. I would really like to make the whole outfit, top and skirt, in a nonstretch fabric sometime, with the zipper and darts and everything as patterned. The design has a great athletic look that is surprising in a vintage top and dress combo.