In a couple months I’ll maybe post a photo of a wedding dress, but only if the bride says it’s ok. She’s a friend, she’s gorgeous, it’s her world we’re just living in it.
In the meantime:
McCall’s M6893, copyright 2014 The McCall Pattern Co.
I bought this for $2 during a sale and actually hid it from the bride until after I knew that she knew that I knew what she’s after, because girl, this cover art ain’t it.
But if you look past the flocked polka dots, it’s a good place to start.
Muslin Fittin #1
This was straight out of the package, except the skirt, for which I used the top half of the darted short skirt version, attached to this guy:
McCall’s Evening Elegance 3435, copyright 2001, for the skirt length but with more flare to the center back seam to avoid that butt-cupping late 1990’s thing it’s got going on.
After Fitting #1, changed the bodice so that the waistband sits on top instead of being seamed in, because seamed doesn’t even make sense.
Plus I changed the overbodice from set-in sleeves to raglan sleeves. Afterward I needed a stiff drink. Because that mess is hard to do.
Plus changed the lines of the bodice, lowered the neckline, less sweetheart more Portrait Of Madame X, and a bunch of other little things.
There we have bodice after Muslin Fitting #2, during which we confirmed that everything was right&tight before getting into real fabric.
Gusset pattern for the overbodice, so the bride can hug.
Marking bone placement on the flatlining. Linen.
Silk bone casing, had the perfect amount left over from another wedding dress, hells yes. So satisfying when that kind of thing works out, like good bridal karma.
Big ol’ mess of bodice pieces pinned, rolled, ready to flatline.
That’s it for now, wheeeee!