Simplicity 7203 MISSES’ DRESS IN TWO LENGTHS, copyright 1967 Simplicity Pattern Co. Inc.
Envelope describes this as a “tent” dress, quotation marks and all.
Please admire the TERRIFIED EXPRESSION on View 1 Cover Girl there. Any minute now she is going to start grabbing random strangers and shouting, “I’m not wearing this for fashion, ok? I’m in a groovy chorus, ok?! It’s a choir robe! We are all wearing them! They’re just late is all, ok?!!?! Don’t photograph me! No hashtags! No hashtags! Ahhhh!!!!!”
Meanwhile View 3 is casually showing off her totally non-functional buttons.
Meanwhile View 2 is about to drive away on her little red Vespa #cool.
the size: this pattern is a size 10, which is meant for a 31″ bust. According to the 1967 size chart, I’d be more like a 14 or 16. I was all ready to size this thing up, but then after laying out the pattern pieces and measuring, the only thing I had to make bigger was the armscye.
Which is pretty crazy. This dress must be a Tent on a real size 10 figure.
The self fabric is a wool crepe that has been in the house for so, so long. Seven years maybe?
I washed and dried the wool in the machine before cutting. The wool crepe fluffed up and got a little softer, thicker, and bouncier, but it didn’t felt itself. So: great. It is now a machine washable garment. In your face, Drycleaner.
The lining is a purple rayon that I bought at a yardsale. Also machine washed and dried, because yardsale. I chose it for this dress because I had enough of it, and because I like the purple and red together.
what I changed from the original:
The main visual thing I changed is the sleeve length. I thought it would be more fun if the sleeve ended magically at the same point as the yoke, so I did that.
I also changed the neckline. That shallow squared-off neck just sreeeeeeeams “choir robe” to me, so I fixed it.
The seam at the center front of the yoke is another change. That is supposed to be on the fold! But I didn’t have enough yardage! Even after deciding on shorter sleeves! So: seamed, pressed open, topstitched.
I made my pockets differently than they suggest, theirs are one layer of pocketing topstitched through the face, I wanted mine to be stronger so they are like a regular ol’ side-seam pocket, then topstitched through the face.
Oh, also once I had changed the neckline, I measured it and then measured my own head and then pumped my fist in the air and said YESSS! and skipped the zipper.
And I added a full lining, the pattern doesn’t call for that.
what I didn’t change:
The length! This is the exact length marked out on the pattern for View 3, which I find interesting because it is actually pretty similar on seven-heads-tall fashion figure and on IRL me. So, good job on the proportions there, Simplicity.
Sew It or Throw It:
I’m thinking summer versions in cotton, maybe View 1 as a cropped top, View 2 with the yoke and sleeves in a sheer, or lace, or colorblocked with each piece a different color. This is a good one.