McCall’s M6782 CHILDREN’S TOP AND JACKET, copyright 2013 The McCall Pattern Co.
I know, this old thing again. I should probably buy an actual coat pattern instead of repeatedly asking this pattern to do things it wasn’t designed to do.
But I probably won’t.
This time around I used this simple jacket pattern —recommended for fleece or sweatshirt knit— to make a winter coat for my boy.
This might be the best thing I’ve ever made. Not in terms of technique but in terms of the happiness I feel every time I see my kid in this coat.
Upper: red corduroy yardage from a yard sale.
Lower: grey wool skirt with stripe. Originally from the Gap, I found it in a thrift shop. The tag says it’s a recycled wool blend. I think this is neat, that the recycled wool is moving on to Life Number 3 with this coat. The double stripe ran along the hem of the skirt. Not quite enough for this project, so I ended up seaming a non-striped piece from elsewhere on the skirt into the lower back of the sleeves.
Flatlining: polar fleece left over from another project. It’s red, not that that matters since it’s inside and completely hidden. It’s also soooooo nice and warm. He will really only be able to wear this coat a few weeks out of the year.
Lining of hood and body: turquoise satin acetate with embroidery, was originally a kimono-style robe, purchased at the Pasadena City College Swap Meet. The robe was kind of cheap looking but had a fabulous machine-embroidered dragon on the back, which I used in a dress. The satin acetate feels super luxurious with the weight of the polar fleece behind it.
Lining of sleeves: another blue satin acetate, because there wasn’t quite enough of the other lining.
He wears a size 3, but I cut the size 8. So the coat is huge. Maybe it’ll still fit next year!
what I changed from the original pattern:
This is meant to be an unlined jacket in a medium weight moderate stretch knit, and instead I made it as a heavy weight, non-stretch, fully lined coat.
I worried that the sleeves would become too tight by being filled in with the polar fleece flatlining, so I stitched the sleeve seams at 3/8ths inch instead of the 5/8ths they want.
I also added a snap placat over the zipper.
I added it to keep out the wind, but it had the side-benefit of hiding the zipper from view. Which might be why it turned out to be the easiest zip ever.
Construction-wise, I pieced together the red and the grey, making sure the stripes and everything lined up, and then flatlined those pieces to the polar fleece and from there each flatlined piece could be treated as one unit.
Oh and the label! My husband had a stamp made for our son’s books. I used it here on muslin, and heat set it with the iron.
Sew It or Throw It:
Sew it. So far it’s made a great bathrobe and a great coat, I can’t wait to see what it will do next.