McCall’s M6707, MISSES’ PANTS, copyright 2013 The McCall Pattern Co.
This pattern is inspired by NBC’s Fashion Star. Whatever that is.
The main fabric is black canvas, the contrast stripe and waist band are a very dark irredescent green. Like a beetle. Which is cool in real life, but does not photograph at all.
Seriously, after trying a bunch of different photo-adjusting, black and white is the only option that showed the seamlines. And I think the seamlines are the entire reason for these pants? Because other than a stripe/yoke combo they’re just kinda regular pants with an awkward, tapered, loose fit and a dorky length?
Why did I even buy this pattern?
I always think capris are going to be great and then, there it is.
Actually, I know why I bought this pattern. It was on sale, back before I had the JoAnn’s app, when the pattern sale was this phenomenon that not even store employees could predict. For reals, I asked a lady once if the pattern sale was on some kind of seasonal schedule and she was like, “oh no, we never know when it’s going to be.” So whenever I stumbled into it, I would just buy all kinds of crazy mess.
Grainy black&whites! Wheeeee!
Here below is the point of this whole pattern: my butt. No wait I mean the tuxedo stripe and back yoke, which are cut in one piece and have a corner you have to reinforce and clip, and which is just not cool enough looking for all the trouble involved.
And here below is the part that I find most interesting. Changes!
Rather than describe all the changes, I took a photo of the pattern piece diagram and drew in red the changes I made.
Ok a little description. The main changes are that I made a fly,
—this is the second modern McCall’s pants pattern I’ve done up that had no fly. It has a fly facing cut in one with the front, but no separate fly. Why no fly, McCall’s, why no fly???—
I made the waistband higher and more like a cummerbund, which is more comfortable for me than the mid-low rise of this pattern,
And I reshaped the crotch seam. Which I had a fun time thinking about, how when you let the seam out at the center back, as per the top blue arrow, you give more room for your body, but as the seam continues under, letting out means you are actually going higher into the crotch and giving your body less room, so instead you have to drop down as if you are taking in but you’re really letting out, as per the lower blue arrow. So crazy!
And I made the crotch shape more of a rounded square than a U.
And some other things. Slits at the ankles. Took in the back inseam more than the front. Would’ve taken the whole thing in even more but this fabric has no give and I need to bend my knees sometimes.
13 and a half hours. Mostly checking fit, reshaping, checking fit, changing, checking fit. The pattern calls itself easy, and it really is if you just do it as is: the zipper is the biggest construction challenge on pants, and these pattern instructions are nice and succinct.
My only beef with the zipper, other than the no fly weirdness, is that the zipper and waistband close right-over-left. Technically correct as these are women’s pants and women’s closures are supposed to go right-over-left, but a front zip is traditionally a menswear detail, and I wish the pattern had just bowed to tradition on that one. You know, like how womens jeans open the man way, because jeans were menswear long before women started wearing them.
Sew It or Throw It:
This pattern was not made for my body. All those changes, just, lord. I mean good practice, but lord. I think I could achieve this sort of cummerbund tuxedo stripe look better if I started with a heavy stretch fabric and a high waisted leggings pattern and cut them as is from the knee up and straight and stove-pipey from the knee down.