I don’t even remember why I have these, they way way predate my son.
Oh wait, I do remember: I didn’t buy these patterns in the year they were published. I bought each one new, but well after their publish dates. They were just still in print is all. Phew. Ok thanks for working through that mystery with me.
Anyway, I’ve made both of these before. Couple times. The Simplicity as an Australian pantry-print shirt, as stripey shorts, as corduroy pants with crocodiles, and as a bunch of crazy print shorts; the McCall’s as grinch pants and as a whole mess of raglan T’s.
Why do I keep making these, considering the wide world of patterns out there? Because all vintage children’s patterns are for girls. Ok that’s not true. But it’s almost true. If you’re going to sew for boys, gotta buy new.
Plus these are nice and basic and adaptable and are multi sized unlike vintage patterns.
Which, just, sometimes California Babies are such a joke. Sushi, papadums, fish tacos, coconut water… figs that aren’t dried, same with apricots… I remember the first time I had all of these things, because I was a fully grown adult person when it happened. This kid knows how to order at restaurants, and can eat fresh figs off the tree in his yard. Lord.
Anyway, my husband had all this fabric printed: rice for the base garment, soy sauce packet for the trick-or-treat bag, and salmon to be made into a pillow and held on with a black fabric belt. Or green. For nori. That part hasn’t been fully worked out yet. We’ve still got a week before Halloween, it’s ok.
I can see how this might look like an insane amount of effort for a Halloween costume. But no, it is both awesome and practical: the kid gets a costume, plus a shirt, some regular pants, some pajama pants, a pillow, and a pillowcase that can provide year-round entertainment.
Plus, I know I said that thing in a previous post about how parents shouldn’t make costumes for kids, that it’s good for kids to do it themselves; but it’s probably good to have a couple years of the parents setting a good example. Right? Totally.
The printing was done by Zazzle, on cotton, and I flatlined the printed cotton with muslin to make it heavier, warmer, and softer inside. It’s a little more jackety than shirt-like at this point.
The button holes were done free hand. I’ve come to realize that for less than five buttons, I am not willing to set up the vintage Singer buttonhole attachment. It makes excellent buttonholes. Beautiful buttonholes. But it takes more than two steps to set up. I’m just too lazy. So instead I stitch a rectangle to mark the hole, then use the zigzag to do the long sides and bar tack the top and bottom.
I added a loop so my boy can wear his keys. He will be pleased with that. The pattern is meant to be a fully functional zip-front pant, with a faced waist, but so far whenever I use this pattern I close the front and add an elastic waist, so they can be pull-on.
The green is for nori. What you can see above is a stay-stitch in black that separates the two channels of elastic, and then a coverstitch overtop.
The pajama pants are from McCall’s M5965, and are the single layer printed cotton from Zazzle with no flatlining. This pattern wants you to fold down the top of the pants for an elastic channel, but I cut the top down and added a white Lycra waistband to match the cuffs, and then inserted a wasabi green satin ribbon drawstring.
You know those tiny pieces of elastic that you end up with sometimes after a project, and you tell yourself you have to throw them away because you’ll never find a use for such a small piece, but then you keep it anyway just in case? I used one of those here! The center back of the drawstring isabout six inches of elastic. This way the drawstring can remain tied all the time, and the waistband still stretches.
The drawstring is anchored at the center back so it can’t be pulled out. That bow won’t last beyond the first wearing. Bows demand to be untied, when you are a kid, apparently. It’s ok though, there’s a square knot behind the bow. I also melted the ends of the ribbon so that nice angled cut won’t fray. MAMA THINKS OF EVERYTHINGGGGGG.
Sew It or Throw It:
Sew It. Keep on sewing it, in this case.
The shirt took 5 hours, the pants took 4 hours, and the pj pants took 1 1/2hours. All together that’s ten and a half hours, which is a pretty big chunk of my free time, but no time at all when I consider that even Amazon Prime would take like overnight. I mean after I dithered over every single costume option before placing my order.
It’s kind of nuts when making it is actually faster than Amazon Prime.
*exciting update!* Photos!
My husband had the rice fabric for the shirt and pants printed by Zazzle, which you know already. He had the (amazing, hilarious) soy sauce and the salmon printed by a vendor he works with here in town, Trio, same guy who printed my Sew It or Throw It backdrop while at another shop, Dangling Carrot.
My husband sewed the salmon into a pillow and the soysauce into a bag for candy. Really he deserves major credit for this costume: the idea and motivation, all the fabric, part of the construction, and trouble-shooting on the whole thing.
The nori obi I made from black Mylar backed with black canvas, with a Velcro closure.